MaaS, commonly called Mobility-as-a-service, is going to be the future of the transportation industry. Before we explore why the emerging transportation model will disrupt the industry, here’s a quick understanding of MaaS.
MaaS is generally a collaboration of transits to reach the destination in an efficient and hassle-free way. The MaaS platform involves both public and private transportation resulting in delivering a simplistic transit experience for the customers. Passengers could use a single platform to get the optimal routes and combination of different transport options to reach their destination with the real-time tracking feature. Here, transportation includes buses, trains, cars, bikes, etc.
Some of the leading MaaS providers across the world are:
- Whim App
- SMILE App
Benefits of MaaS
With the rising road congestion and urban population, MaaS has been touted as a solution to streamline public and private transportation for efficient commuting. Here are some of the benefits passengers can gain via the Mobility-as-a-Service model.
- Time-saving – saves time by automatically selecting the best possible routes and transportation means to reach the destination.
- Cost-efficient – as both private and public sectors are involved in transit, passengers can choose an economical transport mode based on their budget.
- The latest technology – the platform uses the latest technology such as 4G/5G, along with Artificial Intelligence, dynamic routing and much more, which delivers more efficient results than before.
- Easy payment options – Through a single platform, passengers can simply pay for one or all the transit options availed. Payment options like monthly subscription, prepaid and wallet system can be hugely beneficial for the users.
The latest transit model also has various societal benefits:
- The MaaS platform corresponds to reduced traffic congestion by involving different modes of transit together.
- There can be a massive reduction in carbon footprint since the MaaS platform involves bike and cycle transit along with the regular ones such as trains, buses and cars.
Ride-hailing platforms are already at their peak. With the arrival of the MaaS platform, it is expected to touch great heights, ensuring a smooth, time-saving and cost-effective transit to the passengers.